Our Heritage – A Brief History since 1850
The beginning of Macedonia UMC can be traced to 1850. At that time an informal gathering was held under a brush arbor in warm weather. The “Raleigh Mission,” listed originally by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was part of a denominational effort to establish two churches: Brooklyn Church, which is now Jenkins Memorial, and Macedonia.
The church has existed at three different locations in nearly a century and a half of ministry. The original location was at the corner of Mid Pines and Tryon Roads, Raleigh. That church was built on land totaling one acre, acquired from Charles Williams for the sum of $0.50 (50 cents.) The formal dedication for that building was held June 6, 1886. The pastor of that church was J.F. Butts and the presiding Elder was N.M.D. Wilson.
By 1906, population patterns had shifted westward. A sanctuary was built across Walnut Street (north of Tryon Road, Cary.) The congregation prospered in that location. The parcel of property was contributed by Burrell S. Franklin and the church continued in that location until moving across Walnut Street to the present site in 1962.
The original Macedonians were pioneers who carved a Christian Community out of dense woodlands. Evidence of the hearty people and their rural lifestyles are still present if one looks carefully amidst the forests of new homes that have changed the area rapidly in the last ten years. The church has continued to grow in response to the ever-changing population now surrounding the community and the church. Assets from the Blanche Penny estate were used to clear indebtedness and to add the current fellowship hall in 1978. In 2005 the current sanctuary and additional classrooms were added. The beautiful stained glass window in our sanctuary serves as a beacon of God’s love and grace to the surrounding community.