Our preschool offers a child-centered, play-based curriculum in a non-punitive environment, where grace and empathy are used to guide children. We nurture and value the child’s individuality and place importance on building relationships with each child and family.
Want to learn more? Schedule a tour
Macedonia UMC Preschool offers a curriculum that is play-based, with developmentally appropriate activities for each age group. Your child will get the opportunity to explore, imagine, and create using open-ended toys as well as through various sensory experiences. Our hope is that your child will leave this preschool being a life-long learner, a problem solver, a collaborator, and a critical thinker.
What Makes Us Special
We offer many unique opportunities, not only for your child, but for families as a whole:
- Play-based/Child-Led Curriculum – We strive to provide developmentally appropriate activities for each age group through a variety of invitations to play. We focus on the interests and developmental stage of each child when planning for activities.
- Loose Parts – In an effort to provide an environment rich in creativity, invention, and exploration, we offer children invitations to play with loose parts, including many natural elements. Our goal is to provide as many open-ended toys (such as Legos) as possible, so children are driven to learn on their own and create new possibilities.
- Art Projects (not crafts that all look the same!) – daily opportunities for children to be creative; teachers provide guided access to various art materials, including paint, glue, scissors, easels, markers, paper, etc. It’s all about the process!
- Outside Time – Our playground and other outdoor areas (think hikes around the property!) are a place for big, gross motor play with swings, climbing structures, slides, and balls. In addition, we extend the indoor learning environment by adding loose parts and other items for children to be immersed in pretend play.
- Chapel Time – We gather in the chapel with Pastor Kevin twice monthly to learn about God’s love through age appropriate songs and Bible stories. He even brings his guitar!
- Kids Library – Seasonal books you and your child can borrow for reading at home!
- Parent Resource Library – We offer a wide variety of books for our preschool parents to borrow. Topics include brain development, non-punitive discipline, and building positive connections with your child, among others
- Parent Community Forums – informal Q&A, parent-driven topics; sessions hosted and facilitated by both the Preschool Director and a teacher; held monthly
- Third Thursday Parent Breakfast – on the 3rd Thursday of each month, parents can drop off child at preschool, head to the fellowship hall with your coffee or breakfast, and join other preschool moms to connect and build relationships
- Open Door Policy – Parents are welcome in our classrooms as we seek to provide a relational environment for children and families. Opportunities will arise through the school year for parents to be involved in volunteering and various celebrations
- Community Contribution and Partnerships – in partnership with Macedonia UMC, we have opportunities through the school year to help local families/children in need through food drives, BackPack Buddies, Angel Tree, Stop Hunger Now etc. Preschool families are invited to attend MUMC’s annual Trunk or Treat and other community outreach events, as well as weekly worship service and Sunday School.
- Fundraisers – vary each school year
- Scholastic Book Orders (quarterly orders) – parents can order children’s books at a great price!
Macedonia UMC Preschool operates from late August – late May (starting the week before Labor Day and ending the week before Memorial Day). Our calendar follows a similar schedule as the traditional calendar for Wake County Public School System, especially for holidays. Families will receive a complete school calendar prior to the start of the new school year.