Our preschool offers a child-centered, play-based curriculum in a non-punitive environment, where grace and empathy are used to guide children. We nurture and value the child’s individuality and place importance on building relationships with each child and family.
Want to learn more?
Preschool hours : 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday
Preschool closed on Fridays
Macedonia UMC Preschool offers a curriculum that is play-based, with developmentally appropriate activities for each age group. Your child will get the opportunity to explore, imagine, and create using open-ended toys as well as through various sensory experiences. Our hope is that your child will leave this preschool being a life-long learner, a problem solver, a collaborator, and a critical thinker.
What Makes Us Special
We offer many unique opportunities, not only for your child, but for families as a whole:
- Play-based/Child-Led Curriculum – We strive to provide developmentally appropriate activities for each age group through a variety of invitations to play. We focus on the interests and developmental stage of each child when planning for activities. Children have a choice and a voice in what activities they engage in!
- Classroom Space – We pride ourselves in our welcoming classroom spaces. We use accent lighting, pillows, area rugs, live plants, and family pictures to create a calm learning environment. The children’s work is displayed intentionally in order to create a feeling of ownership in the space
- Loose Parts – In an effort to provide an environment rich in creativity, invention, and exploration, we offer children invitations to play with loose parts, including many natural elements. Our goal is to provide as many open-ended toys (such as Legos) as possible, so children are driven to learn on their own and create new possibilities.
- Art Projects (not crafts that all look the same!) – daily opportunities for children to be creative; teachers provide guided access to various art materials, including paint, glue, scissors, clay, markers, paper, face paint, etc. It’s all about the process!
- Sensory Materials – Each class offers various sensory materials for children to explore. These materials include: kinetic sand, cloud dough, dry rice/beans, water, water beads, play dough, and much more
- Outside Time – Our newly renovated playground is place for big, gross motor play with swings, climbing structures, slides. Each class gets ONE HOUR of playground time! We go outside in all kinds of weather: rainy, cold, & sunny! Having the proper outdoor gear is crucial. We extend the indoor learning environment by adding loose parts and other items for children to be immersed in pretend play. Our mud kitchen is a place of high engagement, with a rain barrel, pots & pans, spoons, and mixing bowls. Each class has an outdoor learning space that is used for additional daily sensory exploration
- Chapel Time – We gather with Pastor Kevin weekly to learn age appropriate songs and Bible stories. He even brings his guitar!
- Kids Library – Books of interest your child can borrow for reading at home!
- Parent Resource Library – We offer a wide variety of books for our preschool parents to borrow. Topics include brain development, non-punitive discipline, and building positive connections with your child, among others
- Parent Community Forums – informal Q&A, parent-driven topics; sessions hosted and facilitated by both the Preschool Director and a teacher; held monthly
- Open Door Policy – Parents are welcome in our classrooms as we seek to provide a relational environment for children and families. Opportunities will arise through the school year for parents to be involved in volunteering and various celebrations
- Community Contribution and Partnerships – in partnership with Macedonia UMC, we have opportunities through the school year to help local families/children in need through food drives, BackPack Buddies, Angel Tree, Stop Hunger Now etc. Preschool families are invited to attend MUMC’s annual Trunk or Treat and other community outreach events, as well as weekly worship service and Sunday School.
- Fundraisers – vary each school year
- Scholastic Book Orders (quarterly orders) – parents can order children’s books at a great price!
Macedonia UMC Preschool operates from Sept – May . Our calendar follows a similar schedule as the traditional calendar for Wake County Public School System, especially for holidays. Families will receive a complete school calendar prior to the start of the new school year.